Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Unconditional Love

In Memory Of Carmen Aguirre


(My grandparents and their children)


(Grandma Carmen and a few of her great grandchildren)


(Grandma & her favorite :))


(My Wedding 2010)



(Celebrating Carmen's 80th Birthday)



(Grandma meeting the twins April 2015)


(Grandma Carmen, Alan & Aiden- July 2015)


(Grandma Carmen and her little Carmellita)


I dedicate this post to a very special person in our family, my grandmother Carmen.  Last week Carmen passed away while she was visiting family and friends in Mexico.  It's never easy to say goodbye to our loved ones, but we will never forget how special she was to all of us.  My grandmother had five kids and seventeen grandchildren.  Carmen had so much love for her family and reminded us every day how lucky we were to have each other.

It was a surprise to lose my grandmother and I am still in shock, I wanted more time.  I think we all believed we had more time with her.  I found myself scattering through pictures we took together and thinking I don't have enough. The real question is, would any amount of pictures be enough? Probably not.
I realized I didn't need the photos.  I need to remember my grandmother for the person she was, an amazing role model, a lady that was full of love, brought life our family and adored us to the fullest. The moments we shared together were better than any photo I would find.

My grandmother and I had a special bond, we would tease I was her favorite! Those may be fighting words to the other grand children, but I loved that we had something special between the two of us.  I knew she loved us all equally but I like to pretend I was her favorite.  I am the only grandchild that shares her name-my middle name is Carmen.

I have many fond memories with my grandmother from going to church together, dressing me up in girly dresses, making tortillas together, traveling to her home in Mexico, taking a road trip to Cabo San Lucas,  and tips on applying makeup.  I remember playing in my grandmother's closet and she loved showing me her coordinating bags and shoes. Carmen was a little fashionista with an elegant sense of style.  I believe I found my love for shopping from my grandmother, she always said it was important to be well dressed.

Family was very important to her and she taught us all to love unconditionally.  I remember at a much younger age, telling me how much she loved her kids.  She tried to explain how deep the love was for a mother and their children, which I now completely understand.  Carmen always worried about her families health and safety, no matter how old her kids were she always wanted to be there for them.  Because of my grandmother we have such a special bond with all of my aunts, uncles and cousins.

I had always dreamed of sharing two special events with my grandmother, one of which was my wedding day and the other was to have children she would meet.  I was very fortunate to share these dreams with my grandmother.  My wedding day was very special not only for my husband and I but we also shared a cake in honor of my grandmother's 80th Birthday.  I hope one day my children will feel the same special bond I had with my grandmother.  My daughter does carry the legacy of Carmen as her middle name-just like me.

Last month we were able to see my grandmother for a very short amount of time and I will always remember how excited she was to see my twins again.  She adored the twins so much and with excitement she announced Harper was her little "Carmellita".  It brought tears to my eyes that we did not see her often, but loved and appreciated each moment we spent with her.

I will never forget the special times we shared together and she will be missed dearly.

Grandma Carmen we love you!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. She thought of you as her little angel. Now she is the angel watching over your beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful post, Crystal. I couldn't agree more with how grateful I am she had time with Harrison. Family is everything, love you!

    ReplyDelete